May 10, 2010

Tony from Michael Apted's 21 Up


Title shot from the third installment of Michael Apted's documentary series Up! If you squint hard enough, Tony's sitting in the upper right corner of the 'one.'



Peter: You haven’t changed.
Tony: Don’t you think so? I think I got bigger…



Michael: You’re very short. Has that been much trouble?
Tony: Well, a bird said to me the other day, she says: ‘Ain’t you small?’ So I said ‘But you’re ugly; at least I can grow.’ What can they say to that? They can’t say nuffink, can they?



Tony: I’m a pest. I don’t mean to be a nuisance to the other patrons at the track. They don’t want to see a little boy nipping between their feet, running, putting a bet on. But that’s how you gotta do it: Just keep on and on and on, drive ‘em mad and they’ll go: ‘Oh, go on then. Get rid of ‘im.’



Tony: All I understand is dogs, prices, girls, Knowledge, roads, streets, squares... and mum and dad in love. That’s all I understand, and that’s all I wanna understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment